[TenTec] RFI to Ten Tec power supply

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RFI to Ten Tec power supply
From: kr4wm@sccoast.net (Webster D. Williams)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:51:38 -0400
HELP! All my station is grounded (well, I think). I'm getting RFI into
my Ten Tec power supply. People are commenting that my signal doesn't
sound right, and when I mention that they're probably hearing an echo of
my signal through my speaker, they tell me that's what it sounds like. I
didn't realize how bad the problem was until I was working on a handie
talkie last week, on 440, at 100 milliwatts in the room with the power
supply. Every time I keyed up I could hear the speaker clicking! I even
moved the power supply into a steel equipment rack two feet from my
Corsair II in my shack, and it's now got a grounded layer of steel
between it and my HF set. Has anyone else experienced this? What was
your fix? I'm thinking about adding bypass caps and ferrite stuff, but
don't really want to change Ten Tec's design. Perhaps a part in my power
supply went bad? Thanks- Web Williams

P.S. I can read schematics, and have good means to measure and check
parts, so if you need to refer to checking part number "X" that's OK.