[TenTec] Need help with Corsair-2

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Need help with Corsair-2
From: k5rov@worldnet.att.net (Jim Parsons)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 20:39:03 -0600
I have a Corsair-2 that I think is a great rig. But, it has one very
aggravating problem that I sure would like to fix. I have had it back to
the factory twice during the past month and a half, but it still has the
problem. I sure don't want to send it back again. Maybe someone on the
reflector has had the problem and can tell me the fix for it.

When tuning very, very slowing, the main tuning knob will continue to move.
But, the backplate will stop moving, and the frequency will not change. If
you continue tuning the main knob, the mechanism will eventually catch and
the tuning will start up again. Or, if you increase the speed of the knob,
the tuning will be ok. This only occurs when tuning very, very slowly, as
when tuning for weak stations. It acts like the gear reducer, or whatever
means they use for tuning the PTO at a different rate than the main knob,
is freezing and will not move. I find this almost always happens when
tuning in a counter-clockwise direction. Another interesting point that may
be related is that if you tune past zero beat in one direction, and then
come back to zero beat from the other direction, zero beat will be in a
different place on the calibrated backplate.

If anyone has had experience with this problem, please advise. It can be
very disturbing when the main knob keeps moving, and nothing else happens.

Best 73 to all...

Jim, K5ROV

James (Jim), Parsons, K5ROV USAF, Ret.
k5rov@worldnet.att.net   QCWA, NWQRP, Fists, ARRL
EX: W1RLA, K5FBB, K4FEO, SV0WN (CRETE), SV0WN (RHODES),
DL4NC, DL4JP, KA2FC (JAPAN), KA2JP (JAPAN).
JOHN 3:16