[TenTec] Using the scout mobile.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Using the scout mobile.
From: kk5ib@insolwwb.net (Darryl J. Kelly)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:14:18 -0800
Maurice,
I have a TenTec Scout that I used portable at a club picnic.
I used a used 90 amp marine deep-cycle battery for power,
and it seldom puts out 12V, usually about 11.75. I worked
mostly 20 meters, with a 20 meter dipole in a tree and across
a picnic pavilion, antenna height 15' at best. It was North
America SSB QSO Party. In an hour of intermittent operation,
I made 23 contacts, nearly all answering on the first call. Worked
California, New Jersey, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Colorado,
Arizona, Ohio, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba in Canada,
and Puerto Rico on 15 meters. The Ohio was 40 meters, this
is with a 33' dipole fed through a MFJ 949E tuner of course.
Heard Spain but couldn't reach him, maybe off the end of the
antenna. My station location was northeast Arkansas. The other
club members, mostly Tech Plus hams, were impressed to say
the least. I now have the Scout in my van, and have a Hustler
resonator on top on a mag mount. Worked a Minnesota QRP
station today mobile on 40 meters. Mainly have the rig in the van
to try to improve my code copy speed. I know the rig is not the
best in comparison with others, but it works for me.
73,
Darryl, KK5IB
kk5ib@insolwwb.net

To: <tentec@contesting.com>