[TenTec] Paragon, parts, service

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon, parts, service
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec, Inc.)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:34:14 Eastern Standard Time
Written, Re: Paragon transceiver

>The Phase lock loop boards are out of production and if
>one fails the radio is DEAD forever.

This is true, but only partially.  The PLL boards are out of production and
are no longer available as a totally assembled item.  If you had a catastrophic
injury to the radio (like a lightning strike) we would be hard pressed to
rebuild that radio for you.  However, the PLL boards are certainly repairable
and we are able to repair Paragons that come in with PLL-related trouble.
There is nothing individual on the Paragon that cannot be repaired, but
whether or not a given assembled item can be outright *replaced* is another
consideration.  I might add that this is the case with all of our rigs we've
built over the last 29 years; we continue to service everything we've sold
but generally do not have body parts and fully assembled circuit boards
available for items not currently in production.  Those items are placed
into stock at the time a given radio goes out of production and are sold
until inventory has been depleted.  If we do have a fully assembled board
available for a given radio we still will do board exchanges even if the
rig is 20 years old.

There is the occasional exception to the parts available rule and we make
try to keep all items available for repair unless we have one of two
scenarios.  1: That the part is simply no longer manufactured by the
component supplier, or 2: That the part is only available to us at a
reasonable price if we purchase a huge quantity.  In instances like the 2nd
one, we will make every effort to locate an outside supplier so we can at
least provide a customer with an option rather than just "nyuh, sorry, we
don't have it <click>" (ever heard that when trying to get a rig repaired?)

73,
Scott Robbins, W4PA