[TenTec] Paragon

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon
From: rnflyer@pop.pipeline.com (Sean Nash)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:25:05 -0500 (EST)
At 11:49 PM 11/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Following are comments I received in response to a posting indicating that
>I have an opportunity to buy a Paragon (SN00383) for $835.  Still havent
>bought the Paragon, but thought you guys might be interested in the
>comments.
>
>_________________________
>
>HI Joe..  If you think you'll ever want to use a PC program to control the
>radio, don't get the Paragon I.  It uses a wierd command set that is not
>compatible with any software (Ten Tec didn't supply any).  The newer
>Paragon-II is like the Omni-6 and uses the same instruction set as Icom
>rigs.  The Paragon-I and Omni-5 use the non-compatible one, and can't be
>changed to the newer firmware (so I've heard)..
>--de Glenn, AE0Q/V31RY

   I am new to amateur radio; could anyone explain what kind of program
   would be used to control the radio?  I can understand a logging program.
   But what other uses could the software interface be used for?  I am
   considering purchasing a Paragon; but I am not sure if the software interface
   is a plus or just something that would never be used.  Thanks for your help.

  Rick Nash
  KB0TCY --... ..--