[TenTec] W5EC's OMNI VI Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] W5EC's OMNI VI Problem
From: rchambers@aguirre.com (Ron Chambers)
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:51:33 -0600
Funny you mention that problem...I have an OMNI V that started acting up
late Saturday evening during CQWW.....The signals started to sound like I
had a 50hz filter, then started scrambling, and then disappeared
completely...radio was basically silent except for sounds that sounded
like an oscillator slowly drifting.......then some noises that sounded like
packet/rtty digital signals......then the signals would come back....stay a
while...then disappear again....front panel still functioned...transmitter
would key but the SWR on my separate meter went out of sight......no
telling what freq it thought it was on....whatever signal was coming out
of the speaker could not be varied by turning the VFO even though the
display freq changed properly..........Sunday morning the rig was the
same....then it came on and I worked 100 Q's or so before it gave up
again....no real pattern.....and I could not make it come back.....I don't think
it is a" loose connection" problem, but I won't rule it out till I at least
pull off
the covers and check all the connector plugs....if no luck, off to TT it will
go.....
So Bill, I am like you....any ideas out there?

K5PN/Ron