[TenTec] dual VFOs in OmniVII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] dual VFOs in OmniVII
From: N6TT@worldnet.att.net (Steve Massey)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:22:47 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Allan G. Taylor <ataylor@heracles.llnl.gov>
To: tentec@contesting.com <tentec@contesting.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Monday, December 08, 1997 9:43 AM

>The recent trend in contesting is to use TWO completely separate xcvrs all
under
>computer control to do some parallel operating (while still only
transmitting
>on one xcvr at a time). The software is available and the BIG DOGS are
using
>it...think they call it dualing CQs or something when in that mode. One CQs
on
>one while copying the exchange on the other. Then visa versa... Sounds like
>3-ring circus to me, but then again that is what contesting is about, eh?
>
>Scott, W4PA, was running dual OmniVIs and dual amps in his 97 CW SS effort.
At
>the current price of used gear, it would seem that one could use an OmniVI+
>as the main rig and a OmniVI as the 'second' rig, stay with TT gear, and
still
>have the cost below that of a 1000D.
>
>Just my .02 worth...

Hi Grant, Yes the computer control is a real treat indeed....I dont usually
read pass the first line on most msgs and yours starting with two radio's
for contesting didnt interest me but read on and saw you asked a question at
the end, And I assume thats your response to my mail with  the W4.....on the
1000D --- I use one radio in a contest, Im old fashioned. But Iisten on both
sometimes....Lets see a new ONMI + / filters is what around 2800 plus ,, and
a VI what goes for about 1950 Thats amost $4800 (correct me if Im
wrong)....I paid 2300 for a 2yr used 1000D/SP-5  , if I bought another I
would have around  4600...So yea it comes out about the same....I work a few
contests a year, Last log I send in was when I won the Novice Roundup Hi,
Never applied for DXCC, so Im not that serious, I work a few hours and say
that was fun, nice run...Getting old I guess  :-) I read the CQ contest
reflector and delete most, but its interesting what there doing now a
days.....On the rigs, there both good. Do you like Chev or Ford ?  One thing
tho with the 1000 you really have 4 radios :-)  I like the AA/CW-- I mite
put out some effort this year on 7mhz before the City tries  to make me take
down this 3 element. Think Ive shared this with you in private mail which is
where I like to stay :-)
Have a good day!

Steve N6TT

QRV for CHRIST !

>BTW: I have recently negotiated to purchase an OmniVI which is gg straight
>Sevierville for the Option 3 upgrade. Never another SS without a computer
>interface...

Congrats on the new 6, The upgrade is nice. The CW signals just jump out at
ya when you kick in the buttons......I mounted my 6, 425amp and auto tuner
in there rack , it looks great, the old auto tuner makes all kinds of noise.
Its old by todays standards but I like it. Now if I could just keep
everything working, The Omni has broken a few times, the Titan a couple, no
problem with the auto tuner...And always something with the computer there
hooked to..  :-)
Have a Good Day !

Steve N6TT