[TenTec] Non-smoker radios

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Non-smoker radios
From: walt@jove.acs.unt.edu (Walter S Delesandri)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 15:27:32 -0600 (CST)
R.E.- Previous discussion of smoke contamination of ham gear-
IMPORTANT!!!!!!!CONCERNS THE SAFETY OF YOUR HOME, YOUR OTHER GEAR,
YOUR LOVED ONES AT THIS ALL IMPORTANT HOLIDAY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people don't realize, but the aforementioned smoke contamination
of radios by nicotine,tar,etc. doesn't stop with the destruction of the
contacted equipment.  NO_NO --- if this equipment is allowed in your home,
the other equipment in the shack can become infected.  In fact,
a microphone so afflicted can pass diseases (athletes foot, hip
deterioration, and in California, even cancer) to your family members,
should they play with your equipment.  Interconnected equipment can
become affected by transmission of the contamination through connecting
cables.  DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU OR YOUR FAMILY -- THINK OF THE
CHILDREN, FOR GOD'S SAKE.

However, this needn't happen.  I am offering a service to those who have
or suspect they have smoke contamination.  I'll pay salvage value
(10-20%) of the going rates for this equipment, if in nice condition
otherwise.  I'll even pay shipping and packing costs.  Once I receive the
equipment, I'll throughly clean it with Windex, then I'll see that it
goes to the home of a smoker.  Any anti-smoker will tell you that they
deserve it.  YOU DON'T.  We must keep this equipment out of the hands of
innocent, decent people.  It's the right thing to do, especially
considering the season.

IF YOU DON'T ACT ON THIS OFFER, I CAN DO NOTHING TO PROTECT YOU!!!

I hope all of you feel superior now.  You know, I regret that I'm old
enough to remember when "good" homes, even those of non-smokers,
had little crystal ashtrays for guests.  The male  non-smokers
sometimes carried gold Zippos to light the ladies' smokes.  GOD THOSE
WERE BARBARIC TIMES -  WE ARE SO LUCKY THEY'RE OVER.  Such a better
world we live in now.

Get yourself some Windex or Fantastik and get a life.

SECOND HAND SMOKE KILLS - but not quickly enough.

73 and Merry Christmas

Walt WB5LJW