[TenTec] 1254 Kit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1254 Kit
From: chuck@topsail.org (Chuck Murcko)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:32:36 -0500
reply 1 wrote:

> From: w1zn@ka2tcq (reply 1)
> To: tentec@contesting.com
>
> Hi everyone,
> I have received my 1254 receiver kit and finished building it. The
> construction went very well, instructions were clear and complete.
> This radio is compact, stable and works very well. AM stations sound
> very clear, SSB and CW also sound very good. The audio is excellent.
> Construction takes some concentration, some parts are very small and
> I found a loup magnifier helpful for some of the very small part numbers
> on some of the diodes. Its an impressive receiver and looks very smart
> e magnifier helpful in sorting parts with very small
> part numbers, like the diodes. It looks very smart next to my Omni VI,
> National HRO-500. I would reccomend this receiver to anyone looking for
> a general coverage, compact and reasonably priced package.
>                            73, Craig W1ZN

Same general results here. There are also several errors in the manual,
but careful reading of the schematic and master parts lists will get you
around those. I'd like it if there were a way to cancel a memory write,
short of turning off the receiver (how about pressing any other
button?). I'm checking into some things that may be birdies now, more on
that later. Figure on somewhere in the 15-25 hours range to assemble,
depending on building experience.

All in all, a nice little receiver.

73, KE3KR
--