[TenTec] Omni VI+ Problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI+ Problems
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:11:48 -0600
I've read some of the comments regarding the problems and lack of
problems with the Omni VI and VI+.

A few years ago...I guess it's been abour four or five, now, I
bought an Omni VI from TT.  It really had some problems.  Someone
commented on the fact that whoever worked on their Omni VI must
have been having an off day.  I like to think that instead of a
"Monday" Omni VI, I got a "Tuesday-after-a-three-day-weekend"
Omni VI.  It had audio problems (easily audible at minimum AF
volume; noisy pot; scratchiness/coarseness to CW notes),
hollow-sounding (like through a pipe) filter/PBT--remember the
old regen receiver whoosh noise?; sporadic, unexpected CW keyer
speed changes; and a couple of others I cannot recall.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Ten-Tec.  The radio ended
up being sent to Ten-Tec service twice.  After it returned the
last time and I still wasn't satisfied with it, Ten-Tec
graciously offered me a choice: my money back or a replacement
Omni VI.  I trusted them; anyone can produce a lemon once in a
while.  I opted for a replacement.  In spite of one or two
subsequent problems with this one (sudden loss of RF out;
lightning related audio problem), I have been extremely happy
with the radio.

The above problems were all non-computer related.  The problems
existed before I ever connected the radio to the computer.

Back in July/August, my turn for the PLUS upgrade came up and I
have been extremely satisfied with it.

Let me suggest to anyone who is having a problem with their
Ten-Tec radio, that if you are not communicating clearly,
concisely, and politely with Ten-Tec about your radio's problems,
then you aren't going about it in the right way.  I believe
Ten-Tec is seriously interested in seeing us (their customers)
happy and their radio's operating to spec.

Thank you.  And, thank you, Ten-Tec!

73,
Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org