[TenTec] Headphones

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Headphones
From: k4to@meginc.com (Dave Sublette)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:32:53 -0500
I have used the Heil BM-10 lightweight dual headset/boom mic combination
for more than ten years, 100,000 QSOs, contest and DXpedition
operation.  I love the headset.  The ones with the big pads make my ears
sore, but the Heil BM10 doesn't bother me a bit.  I operate in a quiet
environment, so I don't need the big padded headsets.

On the subject of the cleartone speaker-- in general over the years, I
have found an add-on external speaker works better than any supplied by
any radio manufacturer, with one exception.  The SP940 seemed to do a
very good job.  As to the 700hz tone resonance for CW--forget it.  I am
an old goat and my hearing is off.  The higher pitches drive me nuts (I
know--it's a short drive.).  I prefer a CW pitch of 450 -- 500 hz.  I
know others, some not so old as I, who feel the same way.  Perhaps it
has something to do with wearing headphones while I radio and playing
trumpet for the past 45 years!  And if that weren't bad enough, I
operate a lot of 160.  I'm surprised I still hear anything.

73,

Dave, K4TO