[TenTec] MFJ Cleartone Speaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] MFJ Cleartone Speaker
From: pklein@seattleu.edu (Peter A. Klein)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:43:32 -0800 (PST)
Steve Ellington wrote:

<<<The case works together with the speaker to produce a
resonant system at 700hz. If the speaker is removed and placed in a
power supply, loudness will suffer and it will no longer resonate at the
proper frequency. Yes, anything is an improvement over TenTec's internal
speaker but don't be to anxious to perform a speakeronomy in hopes of
better sound! Spend the $10  and enjoy some easy listening. >>>

I was wondering when someone would mention the fact that the resonance of
the cabinet has a great deal to do with how a speaker sounds.

All I can say is that I took Steve's advice and got a Cleartone speaker
several months ago.  It was *very* good advice.  I hooked it up to an
external switch so that I can switch it among my various rigs easily.
I've been using an old speaker from a 1970s phonograph for years.  The
Cleartone is much better for communications.

I prefer it to the speakers in any of my rigs.  That goes for for SSB,
too--it seems to crispen up the voice. If it has a sharp rolloff at about
1 kHz, that would tend to attentuate the consonant sounds, but I haven't
noticed that it's any worse in that respect than a pair of decent stereo
headphones.  The box says that it's designed for 600-4000 Hz.

One thing about speakers--we tend to "baseline" what we're used to.  Just
as we perceive both sunlight and tungsten light as "white," even though
the latter is much redder.  And everybody's ears are different.  Only when
we measure things or do side-by-side comparisons do we get a true picture.

73,
Peter - KD7MW
---
Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|

* My opinions do not necessarily represent those of Seattle University.
* Newsreaders may have an incorrect return address. Use pklein@seattleu.edu