[TenTec] Cleartone Speaker Phenomenon

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Cleartone Speaker Phenomenon
From: bkeegan@viconet.com (Brian J Keegan)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 08:33:47 -0500
I first heard about the Cleartone speaker and how great it was for CW last
summer. I'm a CW guy and anything that simple that could improve copy as
much as the reports I was hearing had to be short of a miracle. I saw one
at a hamfest in early fall and pounced on it. Got it home and proceeded to
try it on every rig I own (Kenwoods-HF,VHF/UHF,SWL... Ten-Tec, Yaesu) in
both CW and SSB modes. My humble opinion? It now lives in my Jeep as an
external speaker for my VHF/UHF radio. I couldn't see (hear) what all the
fuss was about.
I prefer to use headphone 95% of the time anyway but the Cleartone did
nothing to impress me.

I spent several years in the music business involved with major touring
acts and recording studios. I know all about speaker enclosures, resonance,
frequency response, and all of that jazz but the bottom line is what does
it sounds like to the listener? Like someone said earlier in this thread,
everybody's ears are different. Mine just weren't excited. I wonder if
there's anyone else who wasn't impressed by this speaker?

Brian KF2HC