[TenTec] Omni VII Suggestion: AM, outboard converter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII Suggestion: AM, outboard converter
From: pklein@seattleu.edu (Peter A. Klein)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 01:15:37 -0800 (PST)
Here's a "HEY, SCOTT" idea that occurred to me while writing my previous
post in praise of the Omni VI.

I'd love it if TenTec offered AM receive through a low-cost 4-6 kHz
ceramic filter and diode detector in the Omni.  Other filters selectable,
as always.  Then, manufacture an outboard shortwave converter you could
attach to the AUX antenna.

It could be a simple crystal converter for the common SWBC bands, or maybe
a 0.5-30 mHz synthesized converter with 500 hKz steps and output on 15
meters.  Or something like that.  Such a converter could be sold to other
ham-band-only rig owners, too.

This would give those who want it general coverage, without sacrificing
the Omni's ham-band performance or adding much to the cost of the basic
radio. Scott, if you take up my idea, send me the first converter :-)

73,
Peter - KD7MW
---
* My opinions do not necessarily represent those of Seattle University.
* Newsreaders may have an incorrect return address. Use pklein@seattleu.edu

Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|