[TenTec] W1AW's Omni-VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] W1AW's Omni-VI+
From: ac5aa@juno.com (Duane A. Calvin)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:32:21 -0600
Wow, you've got good ears to hear the very slight chirp on their Omni.  I
could only begin to think I heard what you might be talking about.  I
made sure the noise reduction was off, and switched AGC off and backed
down the RF gain.  There was something there if I were very critical
about it.  Very critical.  The only way I could confirm that "something"
was there was to switch in both 500 Hz filters, then narrow the PBT (~1
o'clock position) and tune so the signal was just off the edge of the
skirt.  I could detect a slight start of the note within the skirt only
for it to immediately move off the edge.  It's virtually impossible to
hear this in normal practice.  If we're picking nits this small, I
recommend listening to some of the other signals on the band from other
of the "big 3" rigs.  Some are pretty pathetic and come from rigs that
aren't that far off the Omni in price.  Now, I think the Omni ought to be
perfect, but I've had enough rigs lately to know that there hasn't been a
perfect rig built yet.  So, for now, I remain happy with mine.  (Of
course, I'm having a friend tape my on-the-air signal  soon on CW and SSB
just to satisfy my anal-retentive self that my transmitted signal lives
up to my own high standards - HI, HI!)

        73,  Duane
Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
ac5aa@Juno.com -or- duanec@prodigy.net
Day:  dcalvin@austin.ibm.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]