[TenTec] We Want AM

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] We Want AM
From: vlegare@gnv.fdt.net (Vin Legare)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:22:35 -0500
I've often wanted to use some of my older vintage Ten Tec gear on AM but
have never had the inclination to modify it (ugh - ugly word for TT gear).
I like your idea Tom about using an outboard converter to cover specific SW
bands.  Along this line has anyone considered  adding an AM detector to
their rig?  I think that with some of the older rigs, such as my 580, this
accomodation could be made without permanently changing the rig.  There's
plenty of room inside the case. As far as the passband is concerned, one
could tune to one side or the other to center either sideband in the filter
passband.

One of my previous TT rigs, a Paragon had an outstanding AM rcv capability,
and was super on shortwave,  (however, as some politicians would say to the
Paragon "your good but your not an Omni!).  I understand that the Paragon II
had an AM transmit capability.  Is this true, can anyone confirm it.

I enjoy the dialog and the fondness that all express regarding their TenTec
gear.  I too find that special something in TenTec equipment.  It has to do
with character and personality.  TenTec gear is fun to operate and if your
so inclined, relatively easy to repair ... especially with TenTec excellent
service.  I sometimes think we are a bit unfair though,  Ten Tec has
produced an outstanding rig in the Omni VI,  it's designed to be used by
hams.  But they did not design it for SW, that's a different ball game.
Can't blame them and wouldn't expect them to.

The Omni VI has been scrutinized in a most detailed manor and still survives
as a leader.  I wonder how many other ham radio manufacturers can make that
claim.

--... ...--  Vin W1TUJ