[TenTec] OMNI VI Problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI Problems
From: EdGuzis@cris.com (Ed Guzis .)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:01:33 -0600
Here is a forwarded message from Hawk - SM5AQD.HAWK@mbox300.swipnet.se

Please reply directly to him and not to me.

Many thanks,

Ed Guzis, W9TW
******************************
I wonder if someone have had the same problem with the OMNI VI as I have.

I bought this OMNI VI in 1994  - I have also TEnTEc PS to the unit .
Back at that time I got a lot of complains on my signal on LSB - the audio
was very poor on that mode
no problem on USB or CW.
This is a problem specially when you are on the local nets or in local
QSO´s on 80m beacuse every single
one was irritated on my poor quality on LSB.

After a sertcain time I took the radio to one of the bigger store here in
Sweden and they could easy
see on the spectrum analizer that there where some rest products on the
side of the signal . I had the
service manual for the unit so they tried to moderate this down but it was
possible to take this down to lower
level but not fully down.

I did contacted OMNI in US about the problem and they did send me a new
board after I told them  that I
read somewhere that this rig have show´n this problem.
The new board was connected and still the same problem - complains on my
signal.

I was so tired on the OMNI VI so I bought  a new FT 1000D and put the OMNI
VI back in the box.

During this time I was most active on DX-ing on 160m and mostely on CW  and
a good receiver you really
need on this band. I have read about the new OMNI VI plus which got roses
everywhere in the magazine´s.
There where also an upgrade you could do on the old rig.

I  though I do two things in one shoot fix the problem and get a new rig
!!!

I did send the rig from Sweden - to US to have this upgrade 3  and I have a
large and many discussions with the Tech manager on TenTec to also solve
the problem with the Audio.
 - no problem they say !!!
I also told them not to return the rig before this problem was solved -
beacuse the cost to do this upgrade,
repair, the freight and to pay 30% tax on top on that, cost was half of new
price.

Now after 6 -7 month´s I still have the same problem as I had from start,
when I bought the rig - so I wonder
what I paid for and the factory was not good enough to fix the problem.
- people still complain about my audio on LSB -

The new option 3 is although very good when you using the DSP but there is
a noice when you using DSP
and turn the big knob.

Sorry for this long story but is there any out there having the same
problems:
1. Bad transmitting audio on LSB ???
2. Noice when DSP on and turn the big knob ??? (upgrade 3)

Maybe rig back in box ??? -and get something serious-

Regards / Hawk