[TenTec] Mercury paddles

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Mercury paddles
From: alexm@pennwell.com (Alex Mendelsohn)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:13:00 -0600

Hi all!

The recent thread about Mercury paddles reminds me of N2DAN. "Dan" was a
neighbor of mine for quite a few years when I had a QTH in Freeport, Long
Island. He only worked CW and we used to have some great QSOs cross-town
occasionally.I'll always remember him because he used to compliment me on my

bug fist, saying he would never make me a Mercury paddle because I was
preserving the art of correctly using a bug!

In any case, after he showed me his Old World machine shop at his house, I
asked him why he didn't farm out some of the work so that he would be able
to make more Mercury paddles available to the fraternity. He told me he did
just that---and was dismally disappointed. He said the workmanship and
quality assurance on certain parts he contracted for was abysmal. For that
reason, he elected to hand craft all Mercury paddles--for ever more!

I just thought you might like to know about this conversation I had with the

late--and great--Steve Nurkiewicz back in the late 1980s. I'll miss him, his

FB fist, and his great insight about the musical "ring" of certain
callsigns. His QSL card is on my wall.

Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex in Kennebunk, Maine .-.-.