[TenTec] Scout Upgrade

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Upgrade
From: kk5ib@insolwwb.net (Darryl J. Kelly)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:57:53 -0700
I purchased a used Scout 555 about a year ago
(from George Zielinski, W9OA, involved in original
design of Bencher keyers). It worked fine, but had
three problems in my opinion: excessive audio and
IF noise, computer hash, Jones filter not really tight
enough for hard CW use, as on 40 meters, and QSK not optimized. I used the
rig for a year with different audio filters, one an MFJ-784 digital filter,
and also a discontinued MFJ-722 audio filter. I really like the 722 as its
center freq is 750 Hz, and it solved both noise and selectivity problems.
Still not sure that there was something wrong with the rig, I sent it to
Ten-Tec to check it out, install resistor mod for QSK, etc. They suggested
an added capacitor at the audio input, which I oked. When I got the radio
back, I was pleased. The QSK was improved and also the noise cleaned up
immensely. No more computer noise with volume turned down, much cleaner
sound in general. If you have a Scout and are not satisfied with
erformance, check with Ten-Tec. Hope this is of interest.
73,
Darryl, KK5IB