[TenTec] PTO?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO?
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 08:31:53 -0500
Tim Cook wrote:

> I recently purchased a real nice Omni-C and ext VFO at a real fair price and
> am tickled to have been able to get it. There is just one small problem I
> would like some advice on.  The PTO in the Omni is real smooth, (doesn't
> stick or move backwards when you let go of it), but on cw signals, and only
> noticable on cw signals, there is SOMETIMES a "warble" on the cw note as you
> tune through it. It stabilizes when you stop tuning.  It doesn't do it all
> the time and seems more pronounced in one portion of the band, but not sure
> about that. The ext vfo is fine. Is there anything I can try  to fix the
> problem short of doing a pto rebuild? The radio is a joy to use in every
> other respect, just this little nagging problem. I had forgotten how nice
> the QSK was on the Ten Tec rigs.
>
> thanks for any info
> Tim
> NZ8J
> P.S. still looking for a 500hz filter for it....   :)
>
> --

Hello Tim,  I would say that the grease that is inside that pto is
getting old and gummy.  I've had the same thing happen on a few of my
rigs and after rebuilding the pto, (and putting good grease in) I
found it to be perfect.  The warble you speak of is usually the first
sign of the pto on it's way out.  Sorry to say but I would probably
get a pto kit for it.  Ten tec now gives good (red) grease with their
kits unlike the grease that was original off the assembly line.
Good luck and keep ten tec'n.....

Steve Narducci  W9SN
  - ex - NW9G