[TenTec] RE: Omni V and Paragon

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Omni V and Paragon
From: newbyd@ipix.com (Dan Newby)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 08:43:36 -0400
Dan
I use to have both of these rigs. I put them on the bench at the same time
and switched the antenna back and forth between them, to give them a real
world receiver test. I would tune around on each band to find a really weak
signal, both on SSB and CW. Then I would tune the other rig to that
frequency and switch back and forth between the rigs to see which one could
copy the signal best.  What I found was that I couldn't tell any diference
at  all on any of the bands except 10 meters. On that band the Paragon had
just slightly more background noise. If I could find an intellegable signal
on the Omni V, on 10m, that was extremly week, I might not be able to copy
it on the Paragon. But even on 10m, the difference was VERY SLIGHT. And
Like I said, on any of the other bands I could tell no difference.
To me, it was not nearly enough to give up the general coverage receive of
the Paragon.

In fact if any one out there has a good deal on a Paragon II, I'd like to
trade an FT-990 on one.

Dan Newby
WD4LUR