[TenTec] More random musings

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] More random musings
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 20:19:12 -0700
My daughter was born 3 months ago, and University housing
"discovered" my antennas (after 6 years) and I had to remove
them.  Two big changes.  Since then, my OMNI VI with option
3 upgrade has sat in a closet.  I did get in on the new model
221 filter buy and when that came, I had to try it out.  I
managed to get some number 28 wire up in an inverted L
configuration at the end of the parking lot here (nearly
invisible) and set the OMNI up in my car.

Well, what a rush!  First, I forgot what a pleasure the OMNI VI
was to operate, and how sweet the receiver works.  Then, the
new 250 Hz filter centered at 500 Hz was the icing on the
cake.  CW was never finer for my money.   The lower tone I
can get with the pair of 250 cycle filters is very good for
my ears and adding the DSP makes it good for weak signal
excavation.

Oh, and I had to start my car to move it a bit and found that
the OMNI VI noise blanker does indeed kill impulse noise.  I
had never tried it before.  Maybe I'll install the OMNI in the
back seat and run a long mike cord and key line so I can go
mobile with it.  Would I be the first?

Clark
WA3JPG