[TenTec] Thoughts re: Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Thoughts re: Corsair II
From: Lane C. Zeitler" <km3g@cts.com (Lane C. Zeitler)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:10:23 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross F. Guldenbrein NW6R <east3rd@sj.bigger.net>
To: Steve Ellington <n4lq@iglou.com>; tentec@contesting.com
<tentec@contesting.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Friday, July 24, 1998 3:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Thoughts re: Corsair II

>Steve Ellington wrote:
>>
>> I've been seeing Corsair 2's at hamfest for around $500. From what I've
seen
>> on the internet, you can save money at the hamfest. Count on a pto
rebuild
>> however. I believe bad grease in pto's is the main reason people sell
this
>> stuff. They are quite repairable for just the cost of new grease and a
few
>> hours labor.
>>
>> For just a little more, $700, you may find an Omni V. I saw one at the
Indy
>> fest for that amount and it looked very good. There is a world of
>> difference. No flashing last digit, no thumping agc, smoother qsk, better
>> sidetone, less drift and memories.
>>
>> The factory has used units at nearly twice the price with a 30 day
warranty
>> (I think). The warranty isn't worth quite that much.
>>
>> Look around at some of the larger hamfest. Internet prices are often much
>> higher due to the fact that there are more suckers on-line than at
hamfest.
>> Buy at the lowest possible price and always assume it's broken. You won't
be
>> dissapointed that way.
>>
>> Steve Ellington
>> Amateur Radio Operator N4LQ
>>
>> --
>> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
>> Submissions:              tentec@contesting.com
>> Administrative requests:  tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
>> Problems:                 owner-tentec@contesting.com
>> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
>
>Yes, but the V does't have the dual receive either (~;   NW6R  ..

Or an RIT!! Due to the software issue the dual vfo scheme deteriorates the
QSK characteristics significantly. This was noted by users of the V,
reported back to TT, and fixed in the VI. Many users report "no problem at
all" using the vfo split...but the QSK does deteriorate. TT service
department  will verify this if you ask them.

Lane
KM3G
San Diego