[TenTec] Triton II meter is wild

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Triton II meter is wild
From: n4nt@bnoc.net (n4nt - Mike Hyder)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:24:55 -0400
Hi Don--

Your drive pot may be dirty.  Also the Mode switch, as you suspect.
That meter on the Triton is NOT output, but IS reflected power!  When
cleaning switch contacts, one friend suggests WD-40 as the lubrication
is necessary for switch life.  Same WD-40 works on pots, he says.  I
don't know about his choice of WD-40 and use stuff I bought from Ten-Tec
some years ago.

If the meter movement's rapid increase occurs when you advance the Drive
control past a certain point and occurs on an antenna or through an
antenna tuner, it may signify that your ALC is not working properly.
Without proper ALC voltage being developed, they can go into some weird
oscillations which will show up as high reflected power if the Drive
control is advanced too far.  This should not happen on a dummy load,
though, I would think.  You can tell if the rig is developing ALC
voltage by watching the ALC LED on the front panel.  If it is not,
replace the diode(s) which develop the ALC.

If it were my rig, I'd send it to Ten-Tec and have them go through it.
They clean all the pots and switches and give it a general tweak up for
something like $55.  They used to use a contact cleaner (Kramolin, I
think it is) which was a two step process -- red can to clean pots and
switches, then blue can to lubricate them.  The lubrication of the
switches is VERY important.

Luck to you on your new rig.  Those are fine little rigs!  73 de Mike
N4NT@bigfoot.com