[TenTec] OmniVI 30m freq jump

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OmniVI 30m freq jump
From: zl1mh@xtra.co.nz (mike hutchins)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:21:09 +1200

--------------62C93DCA30D

This fix, from Peter, KD7MW, worked great on my OmniVI, which now works
like it should do on 30m.  73 de Mike, ZL1MH.

--------------62C93DCA30D

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:14:54 +1200
From: mike hutchins <zl1mh@xtra.co.nz>
To: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@seattleu.edu>
CC: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniVI 30m freq jump

Peter A. Klein wrote:

> Mike Hutchins <zl1mh@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >My OmniVI jumps fractionally (high) in freq on both tx & rx on 30m only.
> >The jump occurs every couple of seconds (not too regularly), & does not
>
> Mike:  I had this problem, and fixed it with the following advice from
> Ten-Tec.  Evidently, if some Omni VIs are calibrated perfectly on 30m, the
> crystal is pulled just outside its stable range.  So it tends to drift
> towards where it wants to be, and then snap back into "lock."  The fix
> involves putting the crystal where it's content to stay on frequency, even
> if it's a few tens of Hz off exact calibration.  Here's the procedure, as I
> posted to the list in Feb. 1998.  Hope this helps!
> -----------------
>
> Some time back I reported that my Omni VI had a periodic frequency shift
> on 30 meters.  Every 25 seconds or so, the received frequency would jump
> about 100 Hz higher in pitch, and then slide back to where it had been.
> Someone else mentioned having seen this tendency in other Omnis, and
> Steve asked me to document how I fixed it.
>
> I finally got to do the procedure that Ten-Tec service recommended, and
> I'm happy to report that it did clear up the problem.
>
> As described by Ten-Tec service, the periodic frequency jump is due to a
> crystal oscillator that has been adjusted a little too far to lock in
> properly.  The fix is to tweak L19 on the "Xtal Osc./L.O. Mixer" board
> 1/4 turn in whichever direction eliminates the problem.
>
> Warm the radio up for at least 1/2 hour.  Turn it off and remove the top
> cover.  Looking down at the top of the Omni VI with the front panel
> toward you, the oscillator board is in the left front quadrant of the
> radio.  To get at the oscillator board, you have to remove the aluminum
> cover on which are mounted two other boards.
>
> Disconnect whatever connectors you have to so that the cover can swing
> out of the way.  Draw a sketch of what you've disconnected with the
> proper number/letter of the connector to facilitate getting everything
> back together again.  The Ten-Tec tech said to "rotate the cover to the
> right."  I found it easiest to flip the left edge of the cover up and
> over to the right side of the radio.  He also said that I could leave
> the radio on, but I was a bit nervous about having connectors flapping
> about and possibly shorting to ground while I worked.
>
> Once inside, you'll see a bank of crystals along one edge of the
> oscillator board. Each crystal has a small slug-tuned coil next to it.
> L19, the 30m coil, is the third from the right.  The diagram is on page
> 4-25 of the Omni VI manual, but the picture is upside down from the way
> you're looking at the board.  Turn the coil 1/4 turn clockwise.  Replace
> the cover, and reconnect the connectors, but don't screw in the screws
> yet.  Turn the radio back on, warm it up for a couple of minutes, and
> see if the problem has been fixed.  If not, remove the cover again, put
> [...]
The above fix was done in just a few minutes, and worked great on MY
OmniVI, which is now like it should be on 30m. Good luck, 73, Mike ZL1MH

--------------62C93DCA30D--