[TenTec] 13.5 votts, and "garbled audio"/PLL out of lock

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 13.5 votts, and "garbled audio"/PLL out of lock
From: kf5mc@flash.net (Joseph Pursley)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 07:56:19 -0500
Hi Peter:

Another problem often overlooked is the placement of the power supply too near
the
rig. That will also cause garbled audio at times. I finally have my Paragon
working
again after several frustrating days. A complete resoldering of the minor loop
board and readjustment of the PLL seemed to do it. It is a task to reheat each
of
the small contacts but entirely necessary. A good quality 2% silver solder
makes a
nice connection. I also soldered all of the IF cans to the board ground plane. I
have had my Paragon for some years now and have found some real goofs in the
solder
department. One of the worst was a case where the Bias Pot for the final
transistors was not even soldered causing the power supply to shut down after
the
rig heated up.................Oh well now a days nothing is perfect. Ten Tec is
at
least easy to repair and one dosnt have to purchase a multi thousand dollar
soldering station in order to repair surface mounted components.
Miniaturization is
nice but who needs it!!!!!!.........................joe