[TenTec] Wider SSB Filters For Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Wider SSB Filters For Omni VI
From: kf5mc@flash.net (Joseph Pursley)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:41:18 -0500
I think I'm missing something here. The reason for narrower filters is
an attempt to keep loud signals in close proximity from interfering .
SSB was never designed to sound like Hi Fi. It was originally designed
to allow more spectrum to be used without interference. Check out the
bandwidth of an AM signal sometime. Depending on circumstances it can
take MORE than twice the bandspresd of a SSB signal. The wider the
filter the wider the received bandpass. Using a 2.9KC  filter for
receiving CW will add to the confusion on a crowded band because instead
of hearing one signal you could be hearing a whole bunch. Cutting it
down to 500hz enhances the narrowness of your bandpass clipping out many
of the unwanted signals. On a band that is dead and working cross town
the 2.9 would sound great but in that case why not use a  super
regenerative receiver. They can tune the whole band at once. I prefer to
hear as few signals at one time as possible. Granted a 3kc filter would
make the received signal much more pleasant to listen to that is if
there are no S-9 stations 4 kc's away yelling OLA OLA OLA!!!! The
problem with The Omni V1 is another one for sure> I have the full
upgraded version and both transmit and receive sound like the bandpass
is about 1KC wide.  Now that is a pain . I prefer to maintain my own
equipment but it is hard when the supplied manual does not include
sufficient information regarding  complete alignment. In my case both
carrier oscillator freqs and main oscillators have been checked and are
within tolerance and it still sounds as though the rig is aligned
somewhere near the edge of the bandpass....

I am interested in the filter discussion and would like to read more
about it.  I am not criticizing something I don't understand, just
interested !.........joe