[TenTec] Century 21 Digital: Birdies?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Century 21 Digital: Birdies?
From: emery@nas.nasa.gov (Scott Emery)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:23:32 -0700

        Hi,

        My Century 21 seems to produce (RF gain doesn't affect them) noises
at various frequencies, one of the loudest is in the middle of the Novice
portion of the 10 meter band. This is a problem because I am a TechPlus.
Are these  Birdies (?) expected or is this worth investigating?

        I also seem to have great trouble receiving. I need to crank the
RF gain and fiddle with the AF gain/tuning to get faint output from SSB
being sent from 30 miles away.  I realize that many factors would go into
this (quality of the homemade antenna, tuning, whatever) but I thought it
might be worth mentioning.

        What standards should I hold this machine to? Is it "obvious" where
I should start looking from the description above?

Scott Emery
KF6LCV