[TenTec] Hercules II Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II Problem
From: w4ec@juno.com (w4ec@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 12:50:46 -0400
Hello Dale,

I read about your problem with the Hercules II amp.
I don't know if this is any help but I had the Hercules II, Paragon II,
and 253 Auto antenna tuner connected togther and running off of the
TenTec 9420 power supply.  Both of the meter lights in the Hercules II
died on me.  I went to the local Radio Shack store to get a couple of
12volt bulbs and use.

I put the bulbs in the sockets and they did work.  Some flakey things
started happening when I attempted to turn on the equipment, though.  If
I recall, a relay was buzzing somewhere.  I don't remember if it was the
power supply, the radio, or the amp.  I called TenTec and described as
exact as I could what I did.  I told them about the replacement bulbs
from Radio Shack that I had used.

To make a long story short, in my case, you could not use just any bulb
in the amplifier.  It had to be a specific bulb (CM756 80ma).  They sent
me a couple extra bulbs and that solved the relay buzz and the flakey
actions that I was experiencing when I attempted to turn everything on
using the 9420.

73's
Daryl Noel, W4EC

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]