[TenTec] New user of a Paragon

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New user of a Paragon
From: nannypoo@rconnect.com (Tim & Darlene Isom)
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 20:33:11 -0500
Good day,

I am hoping someone in the TenTec users group can help me.  I recently
purchased a Paragon and have been trying to follow the manual in setting up
the rig.  Unfortunately, what I find works for set up does not correspond
with the manual at all.  I have outlined what I do below, along with what
my manual says.  Can someone tell me if the procedures are normal for my
rig.  The Eprom in my machine is labeled Paragon V3.0.

Date set:
Manual says:
Press display (DISP) until DATE displays, press Shift, press Set, the day
will blank leaving only the month, use up/down area to set correct month
then press enter, now only day of month will display, use up/down button to
set correct day, press enter

How I finally got date set:
Press DISP until DATE displays, press Shift, press Set, then spin the main
tuner knob until the correct Month and day are displayed, press Enter

Time set:
Manual says:
Press DISP until TIME displays, press Shift, press Set, prompted by four
underscores for the time entry.  Enter the hours and minutes digits, press
Enter, clock will begin running.

How I finally got the time set:
Press DISP until TIME displays, press Shift, press Set, then spin the main
tuner knob until the correct time is displayed, press Enter, clock begins
running.

Memory scan rate
Manual says:
Press Shift, press Rate(MS).  The word RATE and a number 0 to 9 will appear
in the display indicating the scan rate.  Press UP/DOWN keys to select
desired rate, then press ENTER.

How I set rate:
Press Shift, press Rate(MS), then spin the main tuner knob to see my
selections which are 1.02, 1.28, 1.70, 2.56, 5.12.  Stop the tuner knob on
one of these selections, press ENTER.
(I can set the rate but it does not appear to be any different no matter
which of these selections is taken)

Version display:
Manual procedure:
Press Shift and Enter, TAG will display version.

I have not been successful in getting the version to display in TAG

Sorry this message is so long.  I really like the Paragon, but wonder if I
have something wrong.  Thanks.

Tim
WD9HDQ