[TenTec] Re: Marking Mods (more ID))

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Marking Mods (more ID))
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 8 Oct 1998 16:52:19 -0500
Several points have been raised as additional things to do such as listing the
manuals you have for equipment, putting equipment serial no. in the manual and
putting mods in pencil, with dates on the schematic, most of which I try to do
all the time.

As to legible labels over time; you can do several things.  Cover just the
label with the Scotch tape that has the green label, this Scotch tape is
transparent when applied.  This keeps the label from soiling, but putting it
on, back in an area where you do not handle the rig is what I should have
said.  A back panel label is readily found by "civilians" picking up the rig,
whereas one on the bottom would not be, and we don't want to mar front top and
side with extra labeling, right?

As to removing labels, The Avery label was specified for they have very good
adhesion, yet removability over time.  If they do get cooked on, you can do
one of two things with most labels at no harm to equipment.

One:  You can use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the end of the label, until
you can pick up the end with a fingernail.  Continue to move the heat toward
the other end of the label peeling up the label as you go.

Two:  For the few times this does not work completely (even after years), I
have used WD-40, which is more of a solvent, and is not a lube as many
believe.  This will soak a label and soften the glue in short order, again
allowing fingernail, or an orange stick, or other blunt end tool to push the
remains off the panel.  This works fine on most plastic and metal.  If the
panel is masonite or cardboard such as boatanchor cheap receivers, then I
would put the label on the metal somewhere else.

Alternate ideas would be a string tag on the AC cord, or one of those metal
rimmed string tags for a more durable label.  Usually you have the cords
coming out the back and concealed in the shack, so this should not be a
problem.  Other measures might be an envelope attached to a cardboard back
with Scotch tape and containing a 3X5 card with the pertinent info.

Check the office supply store or container stores, for other materials.
The log book is a great place to keep mods., price info, etc., but who among
our non ham family is going to know to look there when the time comes, or even
the club hams may not be able to find your log book.  (Heck, half the time, I
have to dig on the desk for my log book, it always find the bottom of the
stack of any paper even approaching the desk!!

Stuart K5KVH