[TenTec] Value of a built/working T-Kit?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Value of a built/working T-Kit?
From: Caitlyn M. Martin" <cait.martin@ibm.net (Caitlyn M. Martin)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:56:04 -0400
Hi, everyone,

This past spring there were three TenTec 1260 6 meter rigs offered for
auction on E-Bay.  They all went between $105 and $125.  I paid the highest
price, but got one that works perfectly and is in mint condition.  I really
think I got a bargain, and I like the rig.  Since I have neither the skills
nor the time to learn to build a rig, I am very glad to have picked on up
on the used market.

I had thought it might be nice to have the matching 2-meter rig, or even
the 222 rig.  I saw recently that TenTec wanted the price of the kit for
their factory-built, used, demos.  That would make the price of a low power
version of the 1220 around $195, and a 1230 was listed for $295.  Since
*new* 2 meter Icoms, Kenwoods, Yaesus, etc... are selling for $189-$199,
and an ADI AR-146 is down to $179 *new*, I thought I might do just a little
but better on a used 1220.

Anyway, I posted a want for a 1220 here a while back and got one response.
The gentleman asked me what *I wanted* to pay.  I told him what I payed for
my 1260, and told him that I'd *like* to get a 1220 for around the same
price.  I assumed this was a fair starting point for negotiating, and
figured I might get it for a somewhat higher price than that.  I received
no response, so I assume he found my offer insulting.

So, I ask the TenTec afficianados here to honestly tell me what is fair for
a built, used, working 1220 without the 35 watt PA.  I still wouldn't mind
having one, and would sell the higher-powered Yaesu I have, probably at a
loss.  For that matter, I wouldn't mind having a 1230 or a 1254.

I am not a collector.  I just like TenTec gear.  I find it easy to use (and
I am *not* technically inclined), I find their service and support to be
fantastic, their stuff works very well, and it's American made.  Maybe I'm
biased, but I'd rather support the good people of a neighboring state than
people in Japan.  I'm kind of on a limited budget due to some upcoming
medical expenses, but I thought selling off some Japanese gear and
replacing it with TenTecs might be practical.  Was I wrong?

Anyway, I am really curious to hear your opinions, particularly on prices.

Thanks and 73,
Cait
KU4QD

Caitlyn M. Martin                  "They have computers, and may have
cait.martin@ibm.net                           other weapons of mass
http://www.caitys-world.com               destruction"  -Janet Reno