[TenTec] More on OMNI VI (option 3) birdies and PLL hash

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] More on OMNI VI (option 3) birdies and PLL hash
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:12:13 -0800
I telephoned Ten Tec and got a couple of suggestions for my
birdie / hash problem (most pronounced on 20 meters around
14.204, but present on other bands as well) and they include
more grounding on the top side of the IF board and the
bpf board, and also re routing the DSP cables.  I have
tried each of these tips and grounded (soldered) all IF
cans on the bpf for good measure.  I have the exact same
problem: the birdie gets louder as my hand approaches the
tuning knob, it seems to transmit the birdie and has from
ground.

Anyone have any ideas?  I plan to take an ohmmeter and sneak
around the boards looking for resistance to ground in the
physical case and chassis connections as well as simple wiring
problems.  I recall two guys who wrote me about havinga very
similar problem, do you guys remember exactly what the fix was
in your sitauation?

Clark
WA3JPG