[TenTec] CW prep and training

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW prep and training
From: jkbelt@spiritone.com (Jim and Kate Belt)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:23:20 -0800
Hi Tom:
I've been at the advanced level for almost 34 years and decided at age 68 to
get with CW and upgrade. To do this I invested in the best code practice
device I've ever seen, the MFJ Morse Code Tutor. An absolutely wonderful
machine that is portable, variable, and relatively inexpensive.

The LogiKey K-3 keyer is of the same ilk. You can program it to send a CQ
with your call sign over and over, thus relieving you of the tedium of
calling by hand. The keyer in my OMNI VI+ is great but without the
flexibility of the LogiKey keyer.

I have on order a WBL vertical paddle. The manufacturer is running behind
but he is a pleasant sort; obviously enthused about his paddle and I'm
waiting to give it a try. In the meantime the cheapest Bencher sits on my
operating table. Bencher has a little two page article on paddles that I
would recommend you securing from them. If you aren't already using a bug
give the iambic mode your close attention. It works for me. The keyer keeps
me sending code with precision and clarity. Speed will come.

CW is till popular. The FISTS club has a website you might like to check
out. It is a great resource for CW nuts and also for moderate CW people.

73,
Jim K7JIH