[TenTec] What chirp?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] What chirp?
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E.)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:22:07 -0600
I just listened to the 0100Z ARRL bulletins on 14.0475 and 7.... and 3.5
and I could hear no chip, whoop, bloop or poop. A harsh leading edge on
all probable comes from running in fast QSK mode clipping the leading
edge in the PA. I tried listening with a beat note under a couple
hundred HZ to emphasize and frequency chirp. I didn't hear a think but
that thud at the beginning. I think that thump is exciting the resonant
case of your Tentec power supply. I'm listening with a Corsair II with
SSB or CW filter and a Motorola Motrac era two way speaker in a metal
case. I find this speaker superior to most other communications speakers
including more modern Motorola speakers. Sounded like a pretty stable
transmitter to me, nothing but that thud at the beginning of each dot or
dash to complain about.

I didn't detect a difference on 80 or 40, same harsh make.

73, Jerry, K0CQ