[TenTec] One last chirp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] One last chirp
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 00:32:38 -0500
>>You can't judge leading clicks with fast TenTec AGC, its best judged
>>with AGC turned off and manual RF gain because on FAST AGC TenTec
>>receivers make their own click on the leading edge.
>

>True.  The Omni Six's leading edge is VERY steep.  Why?  I believe it was
>designed that way to offset a sharp leading edge power spike that I could
>see on my Omni V.  Both the Omni V and Omni Six use a ramped integrator
>circuit to achieve the desired waveform rise and fall. On the Omni V, the
>waveform is gorgeous.  The keying and timing circuitry between the two
>radios is again nearly the same.  So what happened on the Omni Six?  The
>answer lies in the Omni Six's ALC circuit.  Until the signal path reaches
>the 9 MHz Mixer Board, the keyed rise and decay time is as gorgeous as the
>Omni V.  It's here where there's a slight departure in circuitry and
>component values.  It took me three weeks to find the right component
>combination to achieve a symmetrical waveform, AND without a leading edge
>power spike.  There's a delicate balance between the ALC response time and
>the waveform edge...and logically so when you think about what the ALC is
>attempting.  In essence, I slowed the ALC attack time just enough to keep
>the leading edge keying dynamics and without a sharp power spike.  The spike
>is only noticable bellow full output, smack dab in the power area that
>drives many amplifiers.
>
>-Paul, W9AC

.....considering that those of us with long experience with TT are used to,
and expect, excellent CW keying, it's hard to accept anything less.
TT's organization and engineering were originally by good CW
operators....Al-K4FW, Jack-K4JU, Dick-K4XU, etc.  Jack is still there, but
who else is "watching the store?"  Are the Q & A folks keeping an "ear" on
these things?  I need to be reassured that TT is still TT at heart!

...Perry, W8AU