[TenTec] 253 Tuner Chip?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 253 Tuner Chip?
From: c-hawley@uiuc.edu (Charles Jack Hawley)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:56:50 -0600

Rick Williams wrote:

> That's chip -- NOT chirp.
>
> I have been seeking information about TT model 253 automatic antenna
> coupler.  It seems to be a love it or hate it opinion.
>
> One thing some have mentioned is the memory chip that is used to store the
> several combinations of presets.  The question is what happens when the
> memory chip is full?  Is it eraseable?  Can it be replaced?  Is the part
> proprietary or is it available "off-the shelf".

It's a Xicor   X24C04   and is available from the chip maker or TT. It costs
about $5. It "fills up" if you do a lot of tuning. If you do mostly returns to
stored memory locations, it lasts a long time. TT provided a socket as their
solution to the problem. When it "fills up" it causes the tuner to hunt
forever on some (usually several) of the memory addresses but works normally
on all the rest.

Another thing that annoys me is that when I turn the tuner on and I have
selected a different antenna position or band, the tuner goes to some setting
that is not correct for the antenna or band it is set to. This also causes the
micro to lose tract of where the roller coil is and you have to do a
"realignment" by pressing  the up inductor and cap switches. The other thing
is that if you leave it where you turned it off, then you still have to cycle
it through a different ant or band because it comes on in the bypass mode
instead of whatever memory address it was set to.

Other than that.......it's ok. I wish I had a manual reversible el network
that had 5000 pf of hi Q cap and about 35 uh of roller inductor. I would like
that better instead of the 253.

Chuck
--
Charles Jack Hawley
Amateur Radio Operator

Alias "Jack" to my BMW Motorcycle Friends
BMWMOA # 224   Black '86 K100RS
President, IBMWR

Viki rides...
BMWMOA # 18120   Black '86 K100RS