[TenTec] Why don't hams build anything anymore?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why don't hams build anything anymore?
From: tscott@eni.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:41:32 -0800
I agree with AI2Q!

I am pretty new to ham radio, but have had some helpful elmering from my dad
who started building shortwave receivers 70 years ago at the age of 12 and
built stuff all his life. With his help, I'm building a VSWR / Wattmeter
with a bit of updating to a very good design I found in the May 1980 Ham
Radio magazine.

For the short term I've gotten a Johnson Matchbox tuner (I figured its
always a good investment), but I also want to build a large roller inductor
balanced line tuner.

I couldn't agree more about a lot of the accessory gear these days being
pretty cheap.

Heck Ham Radio magazine was probably the best project magazine ever
published for this hobby, and I guess it went out of business partly because
not enough Ham's wanted something that technical. I started looking through
my dad's back issues and couldn't put them down. The first issue I looked at
had six projects that I went out and made copies of.

- Tom
       Tom Scott     -    Wyle Electronics    -    KD7DMH
       10300 SW Nimbus Ave #PB, Portland, OR 97223
       503-603-1931 - TEL   503-684-6620 - FAX
       503-504-1583 - Cell    503-604-8651 - Pager