: [TenTec] Model 238 Tuner?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: : [TenTec] Model 238 Tuner?
From: rmccabe@dwx.com (Rich McCabe)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:29:50 -0600

Well I thought I would toss in my 2 cents on the 238. Most of the feed back
has been good. I was reading the E Mail below and thinking that Pete was
right on track until I got to the end of his E Mail. So I figured I would
make some comments and give Peter a little imformation I have that hes
doesn't... Not often I get to do that !

I think the circuit fundamentals of the 238 are top notch. The user
interface (although pretty) is lacking. I agree the buttons are some what
confusing for power,SWR,forward, reflected,etc.. Rotary knobs would of been
better in my book. The dial mechanism does NOT always bring me right back
using the "cheat" card. Its close though. Some bands the antenna is notchy
and you can still be a ways off. I like Peter am using the MFJ 259 analyzer
and it is really nice. As soon as I find a sticker to cover the MFG logo, it
may be perfect in my book. Sorry gang, I don't think much of MFJ.

I haven't run power through it, but am confident as long as it is not abused
with high SWR and hot switching it will do OK.

Anyway.. to my point with Peter !

Peter, I just got rid of a Nye in preference for the Ten Tec 238. The Nye is
a piece of nice work, and I doubt you are going to arc anything on it. But
in reality the design is lacking. Don't even think about using it on 160 and
I found many antennas out of its limits. The 238 out tunes it hands down ! I
am not the only person that has discovered this. Ask anyone that has owned
both.

Regarding your Elmer capacitor.. I too built a tuner several years ago out
of junk parts. It had a capacitor that was the size of a big loaf of bread
(or bigger). It was configured in a parallel circuit and would tune about
anything.

Hope this helps. Don't be so quick to trade the 238 for a Nye.

Rich McCabe
KD0ZV
Des Moines, IA