[TenTec] Front end active devices J310

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Front end active devices J310
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:19:46 -0000 (GMT)
Thanks for all the varied advice on this topic.

Summarising earlier comment, it appears that making a properly
matched set of J-310s requires testing several under the same
conditions, for example with the same 100 ohm resistor. But if thats
the correct approach then its also necessary to check the
individual equalising resistors in the rig itself .... because if they
are not also pretty close to 100 ohms then its not a lot of use
matching the J-310s in the first place. The moral would seem to be
that you only swap the 310s if there is a good, measurable reason.
Suspicion is not good enough !

I'm still going to get some as spares, but they are not going into my
Omni-V unless there is good reason.

Shorting the antenna connector makes good sense, especially in a
climate prone to high static levels. I have a low pass filter and 253
ATU between the Omni-V and the coax to the Centaur balun hung outside
the house. But with an antenna 55 ft up on a hilltop, the possibility
of static build up is obvious. I have a switch to connect a dummy
load or to swap antennas. I leave it in a blank position which
grounds all the other outlets, including the feed to/from the Omni,
when the rig is off, or when I want to use the backup TR-7 instead.
The TR-7 generates quite enough RF to damage a solid state front end.

(Maybe you only make that mistake once; thunderstorms are less
predictable).

John G3JAG

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk