[TenTec] Creating public domain service manuals...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Creating public domain service manuals...
From: tscott@eni.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:36:19 -0800
Reply to wb9iog:

In case there is some confusion, the Omni V does have good basic
documentation, including schematics and limited circuit description, but
what I mean by a service manual is alignment procedures, signal & voltage
information at different circuit nodes, characteristic waveforms, distortion
measurements, receive sensitivity measurements, etc. Basically step by step
tests that the factory might do when checking out a new unit, or aligning /
checking an old one in for service.

My proposal was that we could take units fresh back from Ten-Tec service, or
just units known to be in good working order, and take the time to record
this data with documentation of the test equipment and procedures used. If
we archived this sort of information, it would make troubleshooting problems
easier. I have much of the equipment required for testing and am willing to
collect what I don't have. I'm not enough of an RF designer to troubleshoot
it entirely from just schematics (I realize that some are), but with this
kind of test data, I can get down to the source of a problem pretty quickly.
I'm a pretty good digital/computer engineer, but I've never done much
RF/analog design and I'm trying to learn more.

Actually I've got my Omni V in for service right now and am planning to take
these sort of measurements on it when it comes back for my own use.

I hope this clarifies what I'm looking for.

Tom
       Tom Scott     -    Wyle Electronics    -    KD7DMH
       10300 SW Nimbus Ave #PB, Portland, OR 97223
       503-603-1931 - TEL   503-684-6620 - FAX
       503-504-1583 - Cell    503-604-8651 - Pager