[TenTec] Sticking Vacuum Relay - Temporary Repair

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Sticking Vacuum Relay - Temporary Repair
From: dbowker@shire.sjv.net (Dave Bowker)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 06:56:28 -0500
Here's an old trick I have used to "repair" sticking vacuum relays in
airborne military and government equipment for the past 30+ years.
Although prescribed as "temporary repair", I have found it to be
"long-term" repair in a majority of cases.  There will be some relays that
just can't be "repaired" in this fashion.

SIMPLY REVERSE THE WIRING TO THE RELAY!

In Ten-Tec amplifiers the relay coil transient protection diode is
physically placed across the relay coil terminals, so you will have to
reverse the diode as well.

I have had a Ten-Tec Titan-I amp for approximately 5 years and it developed
the sticking relay symptom about a year ago.  I performed the above surgery
immediately and it is still performing flawlessly after an estimated
half-million or more cycles.

73, Dave, K1FK
Fort Kent, ME