[TenTec] Omni 6, Connector 52, sidetone click

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6, Connector 52, sidetone click
From: ditzian@greenepa.net (Jan Ditzian)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:41:20 -0500
I just read W9AC's note on the Omni 6's connector 52 (cw sidetone) and
decided to disconnect it.  I did this while the Omni 6 was on.  The
difference was noticeable, and the resulting sidetone favors the
"disconnect connector 52" argument.  I am leaving it disconnected.

I  just had a cw qso, using my very old Ameritron AL-1200 with no QSK,
at around 18-20 wpm, with the delay set at 01.  The result is nearly
qsk, at that speed.  You can certainly hear between words, and the only
click is from the relays, with just a slight thump from the sidetone.

I have the Omni's sidetone level (ST) at 05, and the resulting range of
loudness into a full coverage headset does not blast me  out of my
chair, even with the audio gain full up.  If anything, the sidetone
appears to be limited or clipping at high audio levels, so you may not
like it when the gain is all the way up, but those little hair cells
will stay intact.

This mod is just at my comfort level of mods--remove a plug while the
rig is running.  I can't think of a much easier modification, unless it
has to do with removing a knob.

73,
Jan, KX2A