[TenTec] Trust but Verify

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Trust but Verify
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:39:15 -0500 (EST)

Gosh, I can't believe a felow TenTecer wrote a cold check! I've taken
dozens of personal checks with no problems (not that it means anything).
If I was buying something and I knew ahead of time the seller was going to
wait for 3 weeks to let my check float through the system, I would either
forget the entire deal or send a cashier's check or money order.
Hopefully, most people will take these without a 3 week wait.

As y2k aproaches and the banks start to go under due to the number of
withdraws, you will be forced to use money orders or hand deliver the
green stuff. Then when the green stuff is no longer worth anything, maybe
we can trade with corn and beans. How many beans is an Omni V worth?

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Eric N Boe wrote:

> Close call this morning...
>
> Oh the perils of sight-unseen customers.  I've used a policy in the past
> of trusting a personal check from a HAM as long as the imprint matched
> QRZ.COM.  This has worked for the 3 or 4 items I've sold over the past
> couple of years, but just found a counter-example today.
>
> Free Advice:  Wait for all personal checks to clear (and then wait
> another 10 days for the banks to talk to each other).  This extended
> waiting period covers any cancelled-check opportunities.
>
> I almost shipped out my used Omni V today to a person who paid by check.
> I decided to follow procedure and call the bank on the check first to
> verify funds.  Sure enough, the check was bad.  It may have been a
> mistake by the check writer or the bank, and I'm waiting to hear from the
> gentleman for an explanation (hence no name smearing here).
>
> Bottom line:  In God we trust, all others pay cash.
>
> Eric (K0AVW)

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
>
> --

Steve Ellington N4LQ
N4LQ@IGLOU.COM