[TenTec] Audio hiss problem.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Audio hiss problem.
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:40:11 EDT

Hi TT gang,
This serious contester "broke down" and acquired used estate Omni VI updated
to +. I want to find out why more contesters don't use this radio. Turned it
on, and I like what I hear (or not hear). One small problem: when I turn RF
gain up (abt last two "clicks"), I hear high pitched hiss on the audio. When
LP or NR is turned on, it dissapears of course, but I wonder why by
increasing RF gain, the audio hiss comes up. It doesn't sound like it has
anything to do with RF, sounds like audio stuff after detector. Is it just my
radio, or "feature"?

I read a bit through the archives and some problems with keying, etc. I did
not have chance to get deeper into it, before I do I just wanted to know
about the above problem. I will be getting 2.4, 500, 250 IR filters (got
spoiled with them, every radio on my desk has them). Just by playing with it
briefly I like the DSP NR, quiet RX and QSK (got Titan). I guess I will get
used to "home brewed" looks and guts (lotsa room for mods), I grew up brewing
my own equipment (OK3BU), so no problem there.
I will do some comparisons with IC781, TS870 and old classics Drake line and
TS930 (all heavily modified and "outfiltered"). I will report on my
subjective impressions and findings and will give it a test in 160m "hell"
during WPX CW as VA1A.

73 Yuri Blanarovich
K3BU, VE3BMV, VE1BY, P40A
one of Tesla RC Radio Sparks, N2EE, NT1E, VA1A