"Goveia, William P" <wgoveia@indiana.edu>: RE: [TenTec] Ok, ifthe Argo w

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: "Goveia, William P" <wgoveia@indiana.edu>: RE: [TenTec] Ok, ifthe Argo was/is so popular.....
From: k7uc@juno.com (Edwin D Malmgren)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:40:34 -0600
Bill, be careful while charging the battery, those fumes from the battery
are pretty wild if there is sparks around close and no fun breathing
either.  Ed
From: "Goveia, William P" <wgoveia@indiana.edu>
To: "'Tom H'" <biskit@snip.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Ok, if the Argo was/is so popular.....
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:49:42 -0500

I have only been a ham for a little over 2 years, and only been working
H.F.
for around 3 months. My context is somewhat limited, but as I shopped,  I
did try a lot of the local ham's rigs; Icoms, Yeasus, Kenwoods, etc...

In the price range I could afford ($600-$700), I came to the conclusion
that
a used Scout or Argo was my best bet.  So I watched the Factory Refurb
list
out of Tentec for a while, and got lucky (a little over $400) with a
Scout.
I have to say, I love the rig.  Reports are that my audio is very nice,
and
apparently it puts out a nice clean signal, from 5 to 50 watts, if I can
believe the signal reports I've been getting...

In my opinion, the Scout and Argo are the best rigs you can buy in the
under
$700 range.  At least from the shopping I did.  I run mine exclusively
off
of a 12 volt, 650 cold cranking amp deep cycle marine battery (about $40
from a local wholesale club), and it seems to run for weeks (with my
operating style, anyway) at a time without needing to charge the battery
(I
meter the voltage before I operate each time).

It's small, simple to operate, and the manual is that same as the manual
you
get for a late model Argo, so my assumption is that if I took out the
little
linear amp in the back of the rig, I'd have an Argo. So it probably
performs
nearly identically to a late model Argo.  The one drawback is that the
power
adjustment for the Scout is on the bottom, and you'll need one of those
little plastic "tweak tools" to turn the power down, since they come from
the factory set for 50 watts.

Hope that helps.

73,
Bill Goveia
KB9RBW

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]