[TenTec] To all who responded to the CW question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] To all who responded to the CW question
From: supton@eece.maine.edu (Shawn Upton)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:34:57 -0400
Thanks for all who responded.  I got some good info, took a while to
sort through it all tho.  :)

Anyways, I suppose I'll start looking around to see if I can find a low
cost keyer kit, something that can be put on a small board  and go
inside the radio, just to play with.  (If I operate backpack qrp, I
don't need another box to carry with me--the 1340, ant tuner, and a key
already takes up enough room!)  If I don't find anything between now and
then, that's ok, I do have a Bencher key already, I just need to start
using it.

Andrew Moore, I built my 1340 already.  Went together well.  My advice:

Go out and buy some stranded wire to replace the solid (single) strand
wire in the kit.  After a few bends, I find my wire kept breaking, so I
replaced it with the same size stranded stuff, and found it to be way
more forgiving.  Also, go find a 1n4001 or better diode.  Either put it
into the +12V to the switch, or put it backwards across the power
terminals with a fuse (the fuse goes to the rca jack first, then the
diode, then the connection to the power switch).  I smoked all four ic's
in my 1340 when I accidentally powered up with the wrong polarity.

I also have some  notes that I took, but I forget exactly why on all of
them--they might be a bit more obvious to you as you build!  One, put on
the so-239 ant connector before mounting board/heatsink assembly.  The
connector wouldn't go on afterwards I found!  Also, on page 26, pu int
the caps first, phasee 5--1uF cap is the one closest to the NE612 (???).

I had fun building the kit, and I need to bring it back into school and
retune it.  I found that I had to tune all the inductors to get the
radio to work properly--for awhile I had no sidetone, I forget which
inductor it was that had to be tweaked but I did get it to work.

In the near future, I am going to add a multi-turn pot to replace the
one on the freq dial, for easier tuning.  I wonder if I can make the vfo
have a larger range if I do that too?  Also, there's enough room inside
the box--I wonder if some sort of keyer would fit?  I plan on running
this guy out in the woods on my 4Ah R/S lead acid.

Oh yeah, it's set up for I think 7080 up to 7146; most of the novice
band (which I only can use currently).

Anyhow, back to school!
Shawn Upton
Electrical Engineering Student