[TenTec] "LEST WE FORGET"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "LEST WE FORGET"
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 22:50:04 -0400

>>   I consider $2600 outrageous for an antique that's the size of a 50's
>>hi-fi and has to be bought factory direct, thus not supporting any
>>local ham shops. ($1500 would put it more in the ballpark.)

(Huh?)

To add a bit more to the below commentary.....

As to why the dealers were pushing JA gear instead of American made.....

It was well known for years that the JA government provided subsidies to
it's manufacturers.  They then sold gear internationally cheaper than what
they charged their own citizens.  Part of this largess (in Amateur Radio
sales, and probably other) was kickbacks to dealers and other "incentives"
to push JA gear.

Ten-Tec, being a small company (compared to the JA conglomerates), could
not compete with these tactics and was forced to go to Mail-0rder sales for
survival.

It's unfortunate....as I used to make excuses for trips to the large Ham
stores...(AES, International Radio, etc.) to browse the shelves and see
"all" the ham gear available.  Now, however, I don't bother...I already
know that I won't see ALL that's available.... and the only American items
I will find are "accessories"...

.....Perry,   w8au