[TenTec] QRNN

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRNN
From: aa4nn@juno.com (Joe L Blackwell)
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 04:06:03 -0400
Following is from the ARRL Letter emailed each Friday.  Here is one
more insight into QRNN discussed on this reflector.

* QRN vs QRNN? A member recently asked about the distinction between QRN
and
QRNN. A search of our QST database via the ARRLWeb Members Only page
revealed the source of this made-up Q-signal. It appeared as a Stray in
the
August 1931 issue of QST: "W6KX suggests a new abbreviation, QRNN,
meaning
man-made static, power leaks, etc. The difference between QRNN and plain
QRN
is that the former may let up in a short time, while the latter, when
bad,
usually lasts for some hours." Our Spring 1931 edition of the Callbook
revealed that W6KX, since reissued, was held in 1931 by Keith LaBar of
Hollywood, California. The term reportedly has limited currency today on
the
amateur bands and in SWL circles.
*
73,