[TenTec] 1999 ARRL Field Day

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1999 ARRL Field Day
From: k4ldr@hitter.net (Peter J. F. Shaw)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:58:20 -0400
CQ FD
Greetings Field Dayers:

I did something different for field day this year.  I was a guest op
at the Hernando County (FL) Amateur Radio Association's effort 40
miles South of me at the recreation center on Hernando Beach.
Their call was WB4NOD and their Class was 3A, commercial
power, with N/T station.  Logs and dupe sheets were done with
pencil on paper.   I have renewed my skills of logging and duping
on paper.  We all need to do that so that we truly appreciate
the benefits of computer logging.   Modest antennas were some
verticals and dipoles at a low height.  Much like would be done
during an emergency situation with rapid antenna deployment.

I worked from 1730L Sat to 0400 Sun on 20 CW and 80 CW with forced
shut-down periods to reduce interference during the  satellite QSO
attempts and copying the W1AW FD message on HF RTTY, plus
waiting my turn for 80M.   I made a total of  230 QSOs using an IC-765
on 20M and a TS-430S on 80M (I think I have those model numbers
right).  Both radios were a far cry from the OMNI VI / +3 selectivity
and
sensitivity that I enjoy at home.  I wish I had taken my OMNI VI with
me.
The TS-430S at the 80M position wasn't equipped with an optional CW
filter.  It was really tough to make QSOs on 80M without selectivity
and
a better antenna.  I did manage about  60 Qs with hard work and
persistence.

The HCARA made 367 QSOs last year at the same place with the same
setup.  I hope I helped them exceed that with the 240 Qs I made.

Last FD I was doing 1E and lightning got me Saturday afternoon
causing a fire in radio central.  All the fire dept volunteers showed
up.  I had made only 20 Qs when that happened.  The lightning caused
200 feet of 450 ohm feedline on my 80M FW loop to vaporize and
scared the hell out of me.  I was not sitting at the radio and the
antenna
was disconnected but it was still a bummer!

I hope that everyone that was able, demonstrated their emergency
communications skills during Field Day.  Ya know, in keeping with the
Basis and Purpose of amateur radio as shown in the amateur rules,
part 97.1(a)...."Recognition and enhancement of the value of the
amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial service,
particularly with respect to  providing emergency communications."

The way I figure it, my support and participation in ARES and FD
justifies my high privilege of  being granted an amateur radio license
by the government.  I try to give back something to amateur radio.
I do some ARES and that allows me to pursue and do some other
fun stuff like DXing and Contesting, among other things.
I believe that one of the very last things that hams can still point
to and show as justification of amateur radio frequency allocations is
the potential of radio communications during an emergency that will
benefit the public.  Without that, other arguments become weak.

That is my 39th FD in 43 licensed years of amateur radio.  My 1st two
FDs were in 1954 and '55 as a non-licensed under-study to W4WHK (now
K4IG).  I was a 14 year old hey-boy.  He taught me some pretty
valuable stuff.   I am thankful for Dave's guidance and patience with
a kid.   I missed a few FDs because of U.S. Navy commitments
but I did make some FD CW QSOs from a Navy P-2V antisub/patrol plane
while shadowing a Soviet submarine near the Azores.  I also made some
FD QSOs from the Navy ARCs at  Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and Roosevelt
Roads, PR .  I did FD with W4WHK at a Jacksonville (FL) pig farm in
'57.  Oh boy.  My mama wudn't let me in the house with my stinky
clothes on.  Seems that my nose had become acclimated to the odor
that goes with slaughtered hogs.  Mama noticed the smell but I didn't!
Some of my ham gear DID have a lingering odd smell.  But all that
home-brew gear is long gone and the smell with it.   I am a plankowner
member of the Field Day secret Society of the Hoadly Toadlys,
awarded by the world class FD competitors - Woodbridge Wireless, Inc.
(Virginia, 25 miles South of Wash. DC)  The membership certificate is
pretty nifty.  My induction took place at the crossroads at Hoadly, VA
in Prince
William County.   That was a notable and busy place during colonial
times.
Membership is several degrees more sacred than the Royal Order of
the Wouff Hong.  WB4RDV (SK in Nov 98) and I formed the WWI club in
1970 by running newspaper ads.  WWI is a strong ARC in true amateur
tradition.

You may see why ARRL Field Days are special to me.  Every single
one has a memorable story or event that goes with it.  As I get older
(I'm almost 59), it is tougher to do the setup and go the entire 24 or
27 hours.   But I try; and love every minute of it.  My measurement of
successful  field day is how miserable it was.  I always smile
when Field Day is mentioned.    Rain, wind, insects, briars, hot,
sweaty, sunburn, scratches, cuts, bruises, fatigue, are minor
hardships
compared to that pig farm event or CQ FD from a Navy
airship-of-the-line
running detection patterns on a sub.  The lightning strike was quite
memorable too.

I'll see you all  in FD 2000.  Mark ur calendars...FD is *always*
during
the 4th full weekend in June.  If u have avoided getting
up-to-your-ears
in the ARRL field day, you have missed a real special experience
in amateur radio and in your life as well.

73,  Pete  K4LDR  Citrus County, FL

Holder of Florida Skip Magazine Field Day Trophy
The trophy engraving says:
"ONE XMTR F.D. CHAMPS 1964"
     "K4LDR ~ W4WHK"